- Stiff red felt
- Elastic band
- White pillowcase
- Red adhesive-backed felt
- Cereal box
- Playing cards
1. Cut a heart that's about 16" tall and 18" wide from stiff red felt, then cut an oval 8" tall and 5" wide (or the size of your child's face) in the center of the heart.
2. Glue an elastic band onto either side of the oval opening to hold the heart in place on your child's head.
1. Cut two 4" holes on either side of the pillowcase right at the top seam to make armholes, then cut a 6"-wide neck hole in the center of the closed end of the pillowcase.
2. Cut two A's and two hearts, all 3" tall, from the red adhesive-backed felt. Stick one A in top left corner of the pillowcase and place one heart diagonally underneath it. Turn case upside down and repeat.
1. Measure face of cereal box and use a photocopy machine to enlarge two copies of a playing card box to match.
2. Glue to box on both sides, then glue ribbon to top as handle.
Originally published in the October 2009 issue of Parents magazine.