Falafel is a delicious Mediterranean "meatball" made from ground chickpeas -- great for the vegetarians in your family!
- 1/2 of a 10-ounce box of falafel mix
- 2 Tbs. chopped parsley
- Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup shredded cucumber
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 pita pocket breads
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1/3 cup thin tomato slices
- Lettuce leaves
- Prepare falafel mix according to package directions. Stir chopped parsley into falafel mixture, then fry falafel according to package directions. Drain on paper towels. In bowl, combine cucumber, yogurt, salt, sugar, and garlic.
- Cut pita breads in half and open. Spread one side of each with hummus and the other side with cucumber sauce. Fill with tomato, lettuce, and falafel.
Nutrition per serving: 406 cal; 16g protein; 10g fat; 63g carb; 137mg calcium; 6g fiber