Calling all girly girls: Nothing says fun like a huge diamond ring! The oversize "rock" invite lets guests know this party is all about the bling-bling. A pretty pink purse cake looks like every fashionista's favorite accessory. The goodie bag? Plastic dress-up shoes filled with trendy trinkets -- candy necklaces, ring pops, and sparkly stickers.
The Invite: Using our photo as a guide, draw a diamond-ring shape on colored cardstock and cut out. To make the diamond stand out, outline and fill in the shape with glue; add glitter. Shake off excess and let dry. Print or write out party details onto a small piece of cardstock, and cut into tag shape. Punch hole through tag and portion of ring; secure with paper fastener.
The Goodie Bag: Plastic dress-up shoes filled with trendy trinkets -- candy necklaces, ring pops, and sparkly stickers will make this a bedazzling party.
The Cake: Our stylish dessert is adorned with candy flowers and a licorice handle.Ingredients:
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) classic yellow cake mix
- 2 cans (12 oz. each) whipped strawberry frosting
- Pink, red, and yellow original-flavor Starbursts
- 1 tube (4.25 oz.) yellow decorating icing with plain writing tip
- Yellow and red mini M&M's
- 1 Twizzlers Pull-n-Peel watermelon licorice rope
- Using pound-cake variation on side of box (add instant pudding and 1 extra egg), prepare cake mix according to package directions and bake in two 8-inch square pans. Let cakes cool completely.
- Trim cake tops to level. Frost top of one cake with 1/2 cup frosting. Place second layer on top, trimmed side down. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Place cake layers at edge of cutting board. Using a long serrated knife, saw cake in half on a diagonal (see photos below). Sandwich the uncut sides of cake with frosting, and stand cake up on wider end. Trim 2 inches off top of cake. Taper sides of cake by trimming off 3/4 inch, down to opposite ends. Place cake on serving plate, and cover with frosting.
- Heat 8 red fruit chews in the microwave 5 seconds to soften. Press together, and roll to a 7 x 4-inch rectangle. Cut out top flap of purse, and attach to cake by pressing into frosting. Shape bottom corners of purse using more red fruit chews. For stitching, use tube frosting to pipe a yellow broken line. Make candy flowers by heating fruit chews, rolling out, and cutting shapes using small flower cookie cutters. Attach mini M&M's to flowers with icing. Cut 10 off licorice rope, and place a toothpick into each end. Insert toothpicks into top of cake for handle. Place yellow M&M's around sides of handle and at bottom corners of purse. Remove toothpicks before serving. Makes 12 servings.
Party Plan: 1hr. 30 min.COOL JEWELS:
Set up a candy-jewelry-making station. Have bowls of unwrapped, pierced candy -- Life Savers, Starbursts, gumdrops -- kids can string onto shoelace licorice or a stretchy cord. Tie a knot at ends to secure.STRIKE A POSE:
Host a fashion show. (Have feather boas, sunglasses, and funky hats on hand.) Set the mood with upbeat music as the girls strut their stuff, showing off their new baubles. At the end of the "runway," take an instant photo of each child.GIRL TALK:
Modeling is hard work! Give the gals some time to gab, relax, and eat a slice of that delicious cake.PICTURE PERFECT:
Before leaving, the girls can decorate a precut, craft-foam picture frame for their runway photo. Set out lots of glitter, sequins, and beads.