This year, get inspired by the Summer Games and throw a sporty birthday celebration. A torch invitation fans the flames of anticipation. The cake? The Olympic five rings, of course. All participants leave with the gold -- craft-foam-covered water-bottle favors filled with chocolate coins.
The Invite: Using our photo as a guide, print or write out party details on colored cardstock and your child's name on white cardstock. Draw a torch over party details; cut out. Cut flame shapes from cardstock, and glue to front of torch. Cut out your child's name, and glue over flames.
The Goodie Bag: Cut a sheet of craft foam to fit water bottle. Wrap around and glue to bottle. Print or write out each guest's name on cardstock; cut into 1 1/2-inch circle and tape to a notary seal. Add this seal to another so both sides are showing the gold. Glue or tape ribbon to back of medal, and drape over neck of bottle. Medals: Cut a 3 1/2-inch circle from craft foam for each medal. Layer and glue additional craft foam, and decorate as desired (we cut out the number 1 and a star). Punch a hole at the top of each medal, and string ribbon through. Tie in a bow or knot at ends.
The Activity: Hold a relay race. Set out a mat for tumbling. Create an obstacle course. Use a Frisbee to play discus. Set up a colored-ring toss. Have a hula-hoop contest.
The Cake: Use paper templates to frost perfectly round rings on top of this gold-medal cake.Ingredients:
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) yellow or devil's-food cake mix
- 2 cans (12 oz. each) whipped vanilla frosting
- Black, royal-blue, leaf-green, red, and golden-yellow icing colors
- Paper flags
- Using pound-cake variation on side of box (add instant pudding and 1 extra egg), prepare cake mix according to package directions and bake in a 9 x 13-inch pan. Let cool completely.
- Cut five 5 3/4-inch diameter circles and five 4 1/4-inch circles from paper. Place larger circles of paper on cake to form ring pattern (see photo). Using a serrated knife, cut out cake around pattern.
- Place 1 cup frosting in bowl. Divide remaining frosting among 5 bowls, and tint one bowl black, one blue, one green, one red, and one yellow. Transfer tinted frostings to resealable plastic bags. Frost top of cake with white frosting.
- Using the smaller circles of paper, score centers of rings on top of cake to create guidelines for using colored frostings. Snip corner from each bag of tinted frosting, and pipe rings on top of cake, following photo. Matching colors to rings on top, pipe frosting onto sides of cake, then smooth with a small spatula. Insert paper flags into cake. Makes 12 servings.
Party Plan: 1hr. 30 min.TEAM PLAY:
As they arrive, divide partygoers into two teams. Have each group decorate a banner with a team name and symbol.OPENING PARADE:
Organize the children to march around the yard holding their banners. Play the Olympic theme or the "Star-Spangled Banner."LET THE GAMES BEGIN!:
Hold a relay race. Set out a mat for tumbling. Create an obstacle course. Use a Frisbee to play discus. Set up a colored-ring toss. Have a hula-hoop contest.CLOSING CEREMONY:
Everyone's a winner! Call each child's name, and give him or her a handmade medal. Decorate as desired -- with number 1's or stars. Time for an Olympic-size piece of cake!