Most 6- to 12-year olds don't get the 800-1,300 mg of calcium that they need daily. Here are some fun ways to coax your kids to drink more milk, which has 300 mg of the mineral in just one cup.
- Go chocolate. Instead of adding water to instant hot cocoa, use an equal amount of low-fat milk.
- Try peppermint au lait. Brew a cup of peppermint herbal tea, then mix it half and half with warm skim milk. Sweeten with a little honey.
- Have a cow -- purple, that is. Stir 1/4 cup purple grape juice into 1 cup of milk.
- Savor flavor. Choose from an array of extracts from the baking section of your grocery store. Try maple, banana, strawberry, and of course, vanilla. Stir 1/2 tsp. flavoring and 1 tsp. sugar into 1 cup of milk.
- Freshen up with fruit milk. In a blender, whirl 1/2 cup fresh or frozen fruit, such as blueberries, with 1 cup skim milk and 1 tsp. sugar until well-blended and foamy. Pour into a tall glass. Serve with a straw and an iced teaspoon.
- Encourage your kid to slurp up the milk at the bottom of the cereal bowl.