You and your baby will be spending a lot of time in the nursery, so take steps now to make sure it's a secure environment for your little one. Here are some safety tips:
- Keep drapery and blind cords out of baby's reach from the crib and changing table.
- Place a working smoke detector in or near your child's bedroom.
- Make sure that window guards are securely in place to prevent a child from falling out the window.
- Never place a crib, playpen, or other children's furniture near a window.
- Put plug protectors in unused electrical outlets.
- Make sure your child's toy box doesn't have a heavy, hinged lid that could trap your child.
- Use a cool-air humidifier instead of a vaporizer--to avoid burns. Clean it frequently, and empty it when not in use to prevent bacteria and mold growth.