Your first meeting with your ob-gyn or certified nurse-midwife is not only an opportunity for you to introduce yourself -- it's your chance to learn more about her too. Asking the right questions can provide you with essential information about your health-care provider's qualifications, philosophies, and birth practices. Print out our checklist and take it along with you during your first visit.
1. How long have you been in practice?
2. Where did you receive training?
3. How many babies do you deliver each week?
4. What is your general philosophy concerning pregnancy and birth?
5. Who is responsible for my case if you're not available?
6. What are your fees, and how are they covered by my health insurance plan (if I have one)?
7. Are you open to my hiring a doula?
8. How do you regard written birthing plans?
9. Do you offer classes on childbirth and parenting?
10. What provisions must be made if I do not have health insurance?For the Obstetrician
1. How do I get emergency care after office hours?
2. Who will see me for my checkups?For the Midwife
1. What are the eligibility requirements for your services?
2. Which hospitals or birth centers do you have privileges at?