Your doctor will ask lots of questions during your first visit. It is essential that you answer these questions to the best of your ability; your answers may provide clues to possible complications. Expect to be asked about your health history, and the history of your family, the baby's father, and his family. Your doctor will also ask about your lifestyle and any past pregnancies. Be prepared to answer these questions:
1. Do you take any medicines?
2. Do you have any allergies or health problems?
3. Have you been exposed to any infections?
4. What are your periods like?
5. When was your last menstrual period?
6. What type of birth control have you used?
7. Do you drink or smoke?
8. Do you work at a dangerous job?
9. Have you been pregnant before?
10. Have you ever had a miscarriage?
11. Have you ever had an induced abortion?
12. If you have had a baby before:
- What did the baby weigh at birth?
- How long did labor last?
- Was it a cesarean delivery?
- Were there any problems?
13. Is there a history of birth defects in your family?
14. Have you had a previous child with a birth defect?
15. What is your ethnic background? What is the ethnic background of the father?