Here are two easy-to-make recipes that will expose your baby to new flavors. (First, make sure he's tried each ingredient separately to ensure he isn't allergic to it.) Tip: Make large batches of baby food and freeze portions in an ice cube tray.Lentils & Carrots
Makes about 12 servings.
- Boil 1 cup dried lentils in 3 cups water; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a separate pot, steam 1/2 pound of carrots, sliced, until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Drain lentils; puree with the carrots, adding water 1/2 cup at a time until it's a consistency appropriate for your child's age and preference.
Makes about 6 servings.
- Boil 1 cup frozen, shelled soybeans (edamame) for 5 minutes.
- Puree soybeans with 1/2 cup crushed pineapple and 1/2 cup pineapple juice (or more, to desired consistency) drained from the same can.
Originally published in American Baby magazine, June 2007.