With spring still weeks away, here's an easy way to get growing. Kids will love turning ordinary kitchen scraps into a windowsill gardening project. And who knows? It might even inspire them to eat more veggies.
- Start with organic produce (we found it grows a bit better than the conventional variety), and rinse the scraps well.
- Set the garden in a warm spot where it will get as much sunlight as possible.
- Check the water every day and change it every three to four days to keep stinkiness at bay.
- Use a spray bottle of water to mist the leaves every few days.
- If you like, transfer the rooted plants to containers with potting soil to encourage further growth.
Originally published in the February 2014 issue of FamilyFun magazine.