Throw Your Own Swap Party
Want new clothes for nada? Host your own exchange! Our tips make swapping a snap.
- Invite a big group for more options (and sizes), and make sure all the clothes are clean and gently used. Don't forget accessories like bags and shoes, too.
- Make space. Clear off tables, set up mirrors, and designate a changing area for shy mommies.
- Decide beforehand how your swap will work -- you can do individual swaps, try a ticket or an auction-style setup, or simply let everyone dig in. (Brace yourself!)
- Sort the clothes into categories (skirts, sweaters, jeans) or by quality (discount, mall-store, designer).
- Have a tiebreaker in case two people want a hot item. The classic "rock, paper, scissors" never fails.
- Serve drinks and snacks to keep your swap festive instead of frantic.
- Donate items that didn't get snapped up.
Copyright © 2007. Used with permission from the October 2007 issue of Parents magazine.