Fun Facts About Favorite Cities
Did You Know?
- Many major attractions in Washington, D.C., including the National Zoo, the National Gallery of Art, and the Smithsonian, are free.
- New York City's outdoor swimming pools are free from July to September. Just take a lock, a towel, and a suit.
- It's a tradition in Maui to have a big luau for a child's first birthday.
- Chattanooga, Tennessee, has the largest freshwater aquarium in the world, plus a children's discovery museum and zoo.
- Your kid's favorite television shows come to life in Dallas (Barney), and New York City (Sesame Street).
- Seattle has 21 community centers offering indoor playgroups and dance and art classes for toddlers.
- Sesame Place and the Crayola Factory are within easy driving distance of each other in eastern Pennsylvania.
- Austin, Texas, is home to Barton Springs, a natural swimming hole in Zilker Park where the water averages a cool 68 degrees even when the mercury soars.
- Nashville, Tennessee, aka Music City, has the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, plus countless warm-weather outdoor music festivals and shows, including a free concert every Thursday night in Riverfront Park.
Cathy Garrard is a writer in Brooklyn, New York.
Originally published in American Baby magazine, August 2005.