Everyday Ways to Teach Values
Common problems for kids:
- She talks back to adults.
- He teases or bullies peers.
- She takes things without asking.
- He has trouble taking turns.
How to help:
- Teach good manners so he knows specifically how to be a proper host, introduce himself, answer the phone, and be a good teammate.
- Target a specific rude behavior (rolling her eyes, telling you to "chill out"), and point it out every time. Don't continue talking until it stops.
- Help him find words to tell you he's frustrated ("It really bothers me when you don't let me finish my game").
- Teach her how to disagree respectfully ("I guess we just don't see things the same way").
Activities to try:
- Create a secret signal to let her know when she's being disrespectful.
- Create a family Bill of Rights, including ways to treat people.
- Ask for examples of how he can show respect to an elderly person, a younger person, or a guest.