Just Do It! A Five-Step Plan
Jim Wiltens, author of Goal Express, outlines steps to set -- and meet -- any target.
- Write it down. Become a better baseball player, for example.
- Make it specific. "I want to be able to get a base hit once each game."
- Consider Pros and Cons.
Pros: It will be much more fun and much less embarrassing to be on the team.
Cons: I already have practice twice a week. Extra practice will cut into my free time.
- Define small steps by asking the Three W's.
"Who can help?" A coach, parent, or friend, for example.
"What do I need to do?" Practice more, go to batting cage.
"When?" 30 minutes twice a week.
- Monitor Progress. Have my parents videotape my swing. Get feedback from my coach.
- Copyright ? 2006. Reprinted with permission from the March 2006 issue of Parents magazine.