Know the Recycling Rules
Print and save these guidelines on how -- and what -- to recycle.
- Rinse out plastic and glass containers, and remove caps.
- Flatten all boxes.
- Always check with your town. Rules can vary based on what your local facility can process.
You can usually recycle...
- aluminum and steel cans
- cardboard boxes
- most plastic bottles
- paper such as newspapers, magazines, and junk mail
- glass bottles and jars
- paper -- and sometimes plastic -- bags
You can almost never recycle...
- plastic wrap
- Styrofoam and other foam products
- aerosol cans
- items with food residue (like pizza boxes and take-out containers)
- paper with glue or adhesive
You can usually find a special service for...
- wire hangers
Copyright © 2008. Used with permission from the March 2008 issue of Parents magazine.