The Oversize Birthday Party
Your 5-year-old wants to invite her entire class to her birthday party, including some kids she doesn't even like.
Why you should refuse: Although she may want to get lots of gifts, large parties are overwhelming for most young kids.
How to say no:
- "Let's talk about who are your closest friends."
- "How about we invite just the girls?"
Typical kid comeback:
- "Everybody else invites the whole class."
Smart parent responses:
- "It's not always a good idea to do what everyone else does."
- "I can't watch all those children and make sure everyone's having a good time."
Copyright © 2007. Used with permission from the October 2007 issue of Parents magazine.