Stepparent Adoption

Steps for Stepparents

1. Check out your state adoption laws regarding stepparent adoptions. Nothing can replace the qualified legal advice of an adoption attorney admitted to the Bar in your state. Adoption attorneys will know the relevant state adoption laws and will be able to research case law decisions in your state, which may have established legal precedents applicable in your situation.

2. Contact the court in your county that handles adoptions. In some states adoptions are handled in juvenile court, in other states the Family Court or Surrogacy Court handles adoptions. Ask to speak to the court clerk or other employee who can provide information about stepparent adoptions. May courts have an information packet, which will be mailed to you.

3. Obtain required legal forms. Many states have designated certain publishing companies to stock and sell to the public legal forms for court procedures. Your attorney will take care of this for you as part of his legal representation services.

4. Submit required legal paperwork. This will be handled by the attorney representing you at the adoption hearing.

5. Await notification of a court hearing date. A hearing date is assigned in consultation with the judge's (or magistrate's) schedule, your attorney's schedule and the court calendar. You may be notified of the hearing date by mail or by your attorney. You usually are required to attend this hearing.

6. Appear at the hearing. Court hearings are held to allow the judge or magistrate hearing the case to question the parties involved. Your attorney will advise you about how adoption hearings are conducted in a particular court. At the end of the hearing, the judge or magistrate will set a date for the finalization of the adoption. Your attorney will advise you whether or not you will be required to attend this hearing.

7. Finalize the adoption. Adoption certificates are issued at this hearing. You may wish to request additional copies of this legal document for your files.

8. Apply for amended birth certificates. After the adoption is finalized, you can apply for amended birth certificates to be issued.

Source: National Adoption Information Clearinghouse

The information on this Web site is designed for educational purposes only. It is not intended to be a substitute for informed medical advice or care. You should not use this information to diagnose or treat any health problems or illnesses without consulting your pediatrician or family doctor. Please consult a doctor with any questions or concerns you might have regarding your or your child's condition.

Parents Are Talking

Add a Comment