Making the Helmet a Habit
How do parents convince their children to put on a helmet? Here are five ways:
1. Don't rattle off grim statistics -- this will only scare your child away from biking.
2. Require her to wear a helmet from day one, and remain firm in your decision, even if your child complains or throws a tantrum.
3. Flatter your child on how "cool" his helmet looks (they do come in a variety of colors and designs).
4. Point out that all Olympic bike racers wear helmets because they're smart and don't want to get hurt.
5. Be a good role model by always wearing a helmet when you ride.
Additional reporting by Bob Cooper
All content here, including advice from doctors and other health professionals, should be considered as opinion only. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.