This whole-grain dish boasts two fiber-rich foods: lentils and brown rice.
- 3 Tbs. butter or margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 2 10 1/2-oz. cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 10 1/2 oz. water
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup croutons, crushed
Step 1: Melt butter in 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onion until soft. Stir in lentils, rice, broth, and water. Boil; reduce heat to low. Cook 50 minutes. Put in serving dish; top with cheese and croutons.
Each serving: 264 calories, 14 g protein, 34 g carbohydrate, 8 g fat (3 g saturated), 4 g fiber, 12 mg cholesterol, 155 mg calcium, 3 mg iron, 201 mg sodium.