Valentine's Day Pancakes
Kids will flip over these pancakes because they're heart-shaped. But you'll love how the whole grains, canola oil, and fruit benefit your children's hearts.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour or King Arthur's white whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup quick or old-fashioned oats, uncooked
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 small egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- Canola oil spray
- 3/4 cup strawberries, sliced
- Sprinkling of powdered sugar, if desired
Step 1: In large bowl, combine flour, oats, and baking powder; mix well. In medium bowl, combine milk, egg, and oil; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Step 2: Coat skillet with spray, and heat to medium high. For each pancake, spoon 1/4 cup of batter into skillet, forming heart shape. Flip when batter bubbles and edges begin to set. Top with berries and sugar.
Each pancake: 104 calories, 4 g protein, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fat (1 g saturated), 1 g fiber, 27 mg cholesterol, 105 mg calcium, 1 mg iron, 23 mg sodium.