7 Signs of PANDAS
- Developmental regression A child may suddenly start acting much younger than his actual age. He'll often throw temper tantrums or revert to baby talk.
- Acute severe onset of ritual behaviors The child suddenly engages in frequent hand-washing (a common symptom of OCD) or can't come to the dinner table without bringing nine specific books, for example
- Tics These can be vocal or motor and may include head shrugging, throat clearing, and eye twitching or rolling.
- Severe anxiety She may no longer want to attend school, or she suddenly has fears about catching illnesses.
- Separation anxiety A child who slept in his own bed now must be in yours, for instance.
- Bedwetting and frequent daytime urination The child needs to use the bathroom several times per hour or suddenly starts wetting the bed again, even over the age of 8.
- A sudden backslide in handwriting or drawing skills The motor abnormalities caused by PANDAS can interfere with a child's fine motor skills.
Originally published in the April 2012 issue of Parents magazine.
All content on this Web site, including medical opinion and any other health-related information, is for informational purposes only and should not be considered to be a specific diagnosis or treatment plan for any individual situation. Use of this site and the information contained herein does not create a doctor-patient relationship. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.