Could It Be Appendicitis?
If your child has these symptoms, ask your doctor whether an ultrasound or a CT scan is in order:
- Loss of appetite, with or without vomiting or diarrhea
- Persistent, unexplained belly pain in the lower right side that lasts more than 24 hours
- Inability to cough, jump, or go over bumps in the car without pain
- Difficulty walking and/or staying upright
- "Rebound pain," so called because when you push gently on your child's belly it hurts more when you let go than when you pressed down
Originally published in the September 2011 issue of Parents magazine.
All content on this Web site, including medical opinion and any other health-related information, is for informational purposes only and should not be considered to be a specific diagnosis or treatment plan for any individual situation. Use of this site and the information contained herein does not create a doctor-patient relationship. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.