- Make sure your child's teacher and the school nurse have a copy of her asthma plan, including when and how she should take her medication.
- Keep asthma medications in a safe place (preferably with the school nurse, but possibly with a teacher).
- Ask the teacher to help your child steer clear of triggers such as mold, dust, chemicals, strong odors, and animals.
- Ask the gym teacher to give your child time to take medications.
- If the school policy allows it, tuck a rescue inhaler into your child's bag every day so that he always has one available.
Copyright©: 2004. Reprinted with permission from the October 2004 issue of Parents magazine.