Teacher Tips: Helping Academic Success
- Look over the work your child brings home, and ask him to explain what he did. This will help reinforce the concepts he learned.
- Penny Zaniewski, Lit'l Scholar Academy, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Help your child find age-appropriate books about the topic that he's most interested in, whether it's sports, dinosaurs, or dogs.
- Greg Lawler, Scholls Heights School, Beaverton, Oregon
- Celebrate your child's successes, but don't overdo it -- or else your child will want to do well just to earn praise, rather than for the personal feeling of accomplishment. Try to start compliments with, "You should be so proud of yourself because ..." or "You must be so happy that you could ..."
- Marge Harvan, Weaver Child Development Center and Christian Primary School, Canton, Ohio
Additional contributions to this article from the editors of Parents magazine.
Originally published in the August 2004 issue of Parents magazine and the August 2003 issue of Parents magazine.