Citrus Salad with Oranges and Grapefruit
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 0 minutes
Sweet seasonal citrus, mild-tasting greens, and a delicate dressing give this salad kid appeal. And it supplies all the immune-boosting vitamin C that 4- to 8-year-olds need daily. Make the salad ahead of time, and add the dressing just before serving.
- 2 heads butterhead lettuce, washed and torn
- 6 blood oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, oranges, grapefruit, and shallots.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, orange zest and juice, salt, and pepper. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
Each child-size serving (1/16 of the recipe) 97 calories, 1 g protein, 9 g carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 7 g fat (1 g saturated), 0 mg cholesterol, 0 mg iron, 30 mg calcium, 1 mg sodium.