Make-Ahead Cinnamon French Toast
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
You can complete all the prep work for this recipe -- inspired by whole grain versions of cinnamon raisin bread from Vermont Bread Company and Pepperidge Farm -- before the New Year's Eve festivities begin.
- 8 slices whole grain cinnamon raisin bread
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup honey (don't serve to children under age 1 because of the risk of infant botulism)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 6-oz. bottle Stonyfield Farm Organic Strawberry Smoothie
- Fresh berries for garnish
- Arrange bread slices on a 1"-deep nonstick jelly-roll pan. In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, honey, vanilla, and salt. Beat with a wire whisk until golden yellow, about 3 minutes. Pour mixture over bread. Turn to coat both sides. Arrange so slices aren't touching (the bread will swell as it absorbs the mixture). Cover with plastic wrap. If desired, refrigerate up to overnight.
- About 30 minutes before brunch, preheat oven to 450?F. Uncover bread, and pour off excess liquid. Bake 10 minutes. Turn over and bake 10 more minutes, until slightly puffy and starting to brown. Use a wide spatula to remove from pan. Turn bread slices over again and arrange them on a platter. Pour smoothie into a pitcher and let guests drizzle it over their toast.
Each child-size serving (1 slice of toast with 1 1/2 tbs. smoothie) 184 calories, 8 g protein, 33 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 3 g fat (1 g saturated), 108 mg cholesterol, 1 mg iron, 141 mg calcium, 265 mg sodium.