Can't seem to cajole your kids into eating their veggies? These produce-packed burgers are hard to resist. And, lucky for you, they're a snap to make.
- Olive oil spray
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 Tbs. minced garlic
- 2 cups chopped peppers, yellow and red
- 2 yellow peppers, thinly sliced, sautéed lightly
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1 10-oz. package frozen corn, thawed overnight in the refrigerator
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 whole-wheat pita pockets
- Canola oil spray
- Salsa (optional)
Step 1: In medium skillet, sauté onions, garlic, and peppers in olive oil until soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Step 2: Remove mixture from heat, and place in a large bowl. Add all remaining ingredients and combine well. Form into six patties, and chill for 45 minutes to keep them from crumbling. Meanwhile, heat grill until coals turn gray and strong flames die down, about 35 to 45 minutes. Spray grate with canola oil to prevent sticking.
Step 3: Grill patties until golden, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Tuck into a pita. Garnish with salsa if desired.
Each one: 294 calories, 14 g protein, 60 g carbohydrate, 2 g fat (0 g saturated), 8 g fiber, 32 mg cholesterol, 84 mg calcium, 4 mg iron, 594 mg sodium.