What you'll need A pumpkin, pumpkin-carving knife, spoon, cups of various sizes such as a juice glass and a tumbler, pencil, scissors, colored construction paper, self-laminating sheets, sewing pins, twinkle lights
1. Use a knife and a spoon to hollow pumpkin from the back so you can fit your hand in easily from behind; make the front as thin as possible.
2. Trace the circumference of different-size cups onto the surface of pumpkin; cut out circles with knife.
3. Sandwich various colors of the construction paper between two self-adhesive laminating sheets.
4. Cut laminated paper into squares and pin behind the circles in the pumpkin.
5. Place twinkle lights inside pumpkin.
Originally published in the October 2012 issue of Parents magazine.