1. Use the knife and spoon to carve out the inside of the pumpkin so that the walls of one side are very thin.
2. Create a "Boo" template in a word doc on your computer (we recommend Italia, Shell, or Lucinda Handwriting font in italics). Print and tape template to the thin side of the pumpkin.
3. Outline inner and outer lines of letters by poking small holes through the template with a paper piercer.
4. Carve letters using a linoleum cutter.
5. Light the pumpkin with a battery-powered votive candle or twinkle lights.
Originally published in the October 2012 issue of Parents magazine.