- 2 plastic plates or bowls
- Small foam brush
- 2 plastic foam balls (3" and 1 1/2" in diameter)
- White glitter
- Flat red beads
- Round black beads
- Straight pins
- Orange pipe cleaner
- Black paper
- Mug Pencil
- Scissors and craft knife
- Silver string Red felt
1. Squeeze glue into a bowl or plate, and thin with a few drops of water. Pour glitter into the other bowl. Have your child brush the glue onto the foam balls and roll them in glitter. Let dry.
2. Insert a toothpick halfway into the larger ball. Press the smaller ball onto the other half of the toothpick to join balls. Thread straight pins through black beads to make eyes and buttons, and repeat with the red bead for the mouth. Cut a 1" piece of pipe cleaner for the nose, and press it into the head.
3. To make the base of the hat, trace around the base of a mug that's about 3" in diameter on black paper. Cut out the circle. In the center, draw another circle about 1" in diameter. Cut out this circle with a craft knife, and set it aside (this will be the hat's top). Punch a hole in the center of the 1" circle with the craft knife -- you'll need it later to insert a string for hanging the ornament.
4. For the body of the hat, cut a 5" by 1" strip from black paper. Press 1/4" folds along both long edges of the strip, and then snip along folded edges at 1/2" intervals. Form the strip into a tube with the folded edges bending toward the inside. Overlap the two short ends of the strip about 1/4", and glue in place.
5. To assemble hat, apply glue around the inside hole of the larger, donut-shaped circle and press one folded, snipped edge of the tube over the hole. Cut an 8" section of silver string and tie it around the head of a pin at the center, tie the ends in a knot, and press the pin into the snowman's head. Add a drop of glue to the pin's head to secure. Thread the loop of string through the inside of the small hole at the top of the hat. Dab glue around the top folded, snipped edge, and place the 1" circle on top. Glue hat to the snowman's head. Tie on a red felt scarf if desired.