Techniques for Administering Medicine
Dos and Don'ts
- Ask your doctor whether medicine should be given before or after meals, and if the drug needs to be refrigerated.
- Inform your doctor if baby is taking any other medicine -- mixing certain OTC medicines with prescription drugs may not be safe.
- Write down what time you administer medicines so you don't get confused.
- Don't "double up" on the amount of medicine if you've missed a dose. Skip it, and give your baby the regular amount at the next scheduled time.
- Don't store medicine in the bathroom; temperature changes and humidity can affect a drug's stability.
- Never give baby medicine without asking your pediatrician first.