Get Smart About Asthma

When to See an Asthma Specialist

Most children are treated by their pediatrician, but you should see an asthma specialist if:

  • Your child needs short-acting medicine to relieve symptoms more than twice a week.
  • Allergies seem to trigger his asthma symptoms.
  • She gets sick more often than other kids, or respiratory problems make her miss school more than twice a month.
  • He still coughs frequently, especially at night.
  • She has to sit out normal activities because she has shortness of breath or coughs a lot.
  • Low doses of preventive medication aren't enough to control his asthma.
  • She's ever been hospitalized for breathing difficulty.

Parents Are Talking

Add a Comment