When to See an Asthma Specialist
Most children are treated by their pediatrician, but you should see an asthma specialist if:
- Your child needs short-acting medicine to relieve symptoms more than twice a week.
- Allergies seem to trigger his asthma symptoms.
- She gets sick more often than other kids, or respiratory problems make her miss school more than twice a month.
- He still coughs frequently, especially at night.
- She has to sit out normal activities because she has shortness of breath or coughs a lot.
- Low doses of preventive medication aren't enough to control his asthma.
- She's ever been hospitalized for breathing difficulty.