If you find mold in your home, don't panic. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), you usually don't need an air-quality test. The tests are expensive, there are no federal standards for safe mold levels, and knowing the type of mold won't change how you handle it. The most important thing is to take these steps to remove the mold -- and correct the water problem that caused it.
- Wash clothing, stuffed animals, and other washable cloth items in hot, soapy water. Dry clean or throw out cloth items that can't be washed.
- Wipe hard-surfaced objects like countertops and toys with a solution of one cup of bleach to one gallon of water and let them dry thoroughly.
- For large areas of mold contamination, consult a professional trained in mold remediation (visit iicrc.org to find one near you). Ask your doctor if your family should leave while the mold is being removed.