Although older houses may be more prone to leaks, new ones are also vulnerable to mold because energy-efficient windows and doors can keep moisture trapped inside. Follow these tips to reduce your risk.
- Repair any leaks quickly. If you notice a moldy odor in a room, look for hidden leaks.
- Use exhaust fans, which vent outside of the home, in the bathroom and kitchen.
- In bathrooms, use washable throw rugs instead of carpet.
- Keep indoor humidity levels at 40 to 60 percent (check them with a small digital humidity monitor). Set up a dehumidifier if necessary, especially in a damp basement.
- Use an air conditioner with a HEPA filter to remove spores in the air, and change the filter regularly. If you don't have AC, close windows when it's humid.