- Lie on your back with your legs wider than hip width apart, arms wider than shoulder width apart, palms up, and eyes closed.
- Breathe slowly, deeply, and completely into your belly and expand your chest to fill your lungs.
- After a brief pause, exhale slowly, with control, allowing the breath and belly to release.
- Repeat this breathing pattern for 3 to 5 minutes. Envision a wave coming to shore with every inhalation, and the tide returning to the ocean with every exhalation.
- Return to normal breathing. Roll to one side with knees bent, and use your hands to roll up to sitting before opening your eyes.
Copyright © 2011 Meredith Corporation.
All content on this Web site, including medical opinion and any other health-related information, is for informational purposes only and should not be considered to be a specific diagnosis or treatment plan for any individual situation. Use of this site and the information contained herein does not create a doctor-patient relationship. Always seek the direct advice of your own doctor in connection with any questions or issues you may have regarding your own health or the health of others.