Think spas are for adults only? We found six that will tone your body, soothe your soul-and keep the kids occupied too.
The Spa at the Hotel Hershey
The Hotel Hershey's brand-new spa, opening this month, will offer such delectable treatments as the skin-softening Whipped Cocoa Bath ($45) and the Chocolate Fondue Wrap (warm moor mud plus essence of cocoa, $85). The hotel itself features formal gardens, 235 deluxe rooms, a 17,000-square-foot fitness facility, and a nine-hole golf course.
- Family Fun: The Hotel Hershey offers bike rentals, nature trails, kites, horseshoes, and carriage rides. There's also a complimentary shuttle to Hersheypark, the famous amusement park. From November 10 through January 1, the park becomes Christmas Candylane, with carolers, holiday feasts, and visits from Santa and his reindeer. The park is not open every day, however, so call or visit www.hersheypa.com for a schedule.
- For the Kids:The hotel's Cocoa Kids Club ($5 per hour) holds workshops in which children can create crafts out of chocolate.
- Cost: From November 10 through December 31, rooms start at $119.50 per adult per night. (There is a small additional charge for kids older than 3.) Spa packages were not available at press time; phone for details.
- Call: 800-HERSHEY
Saddlebrook Resort -- Tampa
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Saddlebrook's 7,000-square-foot spa features stress-busting hydrotherapy treatments, ten facials, and even a Couple's Massage and Aromatherapy Bath. The resort also offers a wellness center with nutritional counseling and stress-management courses.
- Family Fun: The 500,000-gallon Superpool features water volleyball and basketball. Bike rentals are available.
- For the Kids: At S'Kids Club ($25 per day, $12 per half day), 4- to 12-year-olds can enjoy sports and crafts. On Friday and Saturday evenings, S'Kids offers movies for 7- to 12-year-olds.
- Cost: The Spa Escape three-night-minimum package starts at $260 per adult per night and includes room, daily breakfast, spa lunch, dinner, unlimited use of the fitness center, and three spa services per day. There's no room charge for kids under 13 sharing with parents.
- Call: 800-729-8383
Ritz-Carlton Hotel, Spa & Casino
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Boasting a 12,000-square-foot spa set on eight beachfront acres, the San Juan Ritz-Carlton offers the Herbal Tea and Grasses Wrap, the Sugar and Spice Facial, and sunrise Yoga on the Beach.
- Family Fun: Mom (or Dad) can really relax with the kids here: Guest amenities include an outdoor swimming pool, a whirlpool, and two lit tennis courts. Nature tours are also available through the hotel.
- For the Kids: The extensive Ritz Kids program ($45 per full day, $25 per half day), for children 4 to 14, features daytime water sports, tennis, cooking classes, puppet design, and Spanish lessons. The Ritz Kids Day at the Spa package ($160) for kids 4 and up includes "My First" facial, manicure, pedicure, and a gentle, clothed massage.
- Cost: Through December 20, the Buena Salud package costs $375 per night for two adults (no additional room charge for one or two kids) and includes room, his-and-her Swedish massages, 10 percent off additional spa services, one hour of complimentary tennis, and daily continental breakfast for two.
- Call: 800-241-3333
The Spa at Doral Golf Resort
San Juan, Puerto Rico
The mammoth 148,000-square-foot Spa at Doral offers more than 100 spa services, indoor and outdoor pools, nutritional counseling, personal training, and numerology and astrology consultations.
- Family Fun: The Resort's Blue Lagoon features five pools and a 125-foot water slide.
- For the Kids: Camp Doral, located within the Blue Lagoon area, offers kids ages 5 to 12 sports and creative activities daily ($40 per full day, $25 per half day).
- Cost: Doral's Spa Experience Package starts at $200 per adult per night (kids under 16 stay free when sharing with adults) and includes room, daily breakfast, choice of one select spa service daily, and unlimited exercise classes.
- Call: 800-71-DORAL
Wyndham Peaks Resort & Golden Door Spa
This great Rocky Mountain ski resort now offers a special mind-body-spirit program called Next Level Spa. Although not available to kids, it includes activities such as meditation hikes, feng shui, chanting, journal writing, and spa-cuisine cooking. The Golden Door Spa treatment is open to the whole family.
- Family Fun: Kids can enjoy the Kids' Spa program at the Golden Door Spa (full-day prices begin at $45); one area features a water slide, indoor and outdoor pools, a whirlpool, and children's locker room. Big kids can also enjoy a teen facial (for an additional $105).
- For the Kids: The baby-sitting facility, for kids 4 and under, is located right next door to the Golden Door Spa (prices based on the child's age). During ski season (from late November), skiing and snowboarding lessons for older children are available at the resort.
- Cost: Through December 14, a four-night Next Level Spa package is $2,520 (or $315 per adult per night) for two adults. (Children under 16 stay free in the same room.) From December 15 through 23, the cost rises to $3,160 (or $395 per adult).
- Call: 800-789-2220
Hot Springs, Virginia
If you want to sneak in a history lesson on your next vacation, try the spa's natural hot springs, where Thomas Jefferson once took the waters. The resort also offers horseback riding and a full array of spa services.
- Family Fun: The myriad sports offerings include mountain biking, fly-fishing, bowling, tennis, and hiking along 100 miles of trails.
- For the Kids: Homestead's KidsClub ($45 per day) program features a Children's Literacy Center as well as arts and crafts and nature hikes.
- Cost: Through December 21, the Family Vacation Package starts at $166 per adult per night and includes breakfast and dinner for adults, afternoon tea, and KidsClub activities. From December 22 through January 2, 2001, the cost will be $244 per adult per night. Children stay free, but meals cost an additional $46 daily for kids ages 5 to 12 and $65 for kids 13 to 18.
- Call: 800-838-1766