6. Sheraton Hotels & Resorts
Number of U.S. properties: 180 in 43 states
- Weaves cultural and active elements, such as lei-making, horseback-riding, and canoeing, into kids' programming
- Provides evening activities for kids, such as movies and s'mores around a bonfire
- Shuttles families at some properties to neighboring attractions at no cost
- Presents children with such healthy menu items as smoothies and yogurt
Supervised Children's Program:
For kids ages 4 to 12 at six locations. Private babysitting can be requested at all locations.
As part of a major renovation to appeal to families, Sheraton Hotels & Resorts now offers Sweet Sleeper Cribs, which boast upgraded safety features and brightly colored linens with car motifs. An added safeguard: The hotel staff is schooled in proper crib installation.
Another new feature is Sheraton's Service Promise, which gives families a credit toward their stay or a certificate for a future stay should they be disgruntled, according to Norman MacLeod, executive vice president. "The Sheraton team is developing a brand-wide children's program, which we hope to launch in the near future," MacLeod says.
Programs currently include a Keiki Adventure at the Sheraton Molokai Lodge and Beach Village in Maunaloa, HI, where kids can learn the hula and ukulele. At the Sheraton Bal Harbour in Miami, activities include beach and pool fun along with arts and crafts.