4. Holiday Inn Hotels and Resorts
Courtesy of Six Continents
Number of U.S. properties: 1,013 in 50 states and the District of Columbia
- Designates at least 75% of its guest rooms as non-smoking, among the highest percentages in our survey
- Serves applesauce with p.m. meals and substitutes carrots for french fries
- Offers a Children's Activity Room at all Holiday Inn Sunspree Resorts and Family Suites Resort properties
- Gives a rubber-frog bath toy to kids as a welcome amenity
Supervised Children's Program:
For kids ages 7 to 11 at 25-plus locations. Babysitting is also offered at some locations.
More recent innovations include KidSuites, a room within a room where children can play video games, watch their own TV programs, and sleep in bunk beds. The suites, which debuted in 1996, now number 1,100 and are scattered among 40 locations.