2013 Winners: Top 10 Favorite Family Destinations
Scores are based on a 100-point scale.
- Yellowstone National Park: WY, MT, ID (Score: 97)
- Acadia National Park: ME (Score: 95)
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park: NM (Score: 94)
- Grand Canyon National Park: AZ (Score: 94)
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial: SD (Score: 94)
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore: MI (Score: 94)
- Yosemite National Park: CA (Score: 94)
- Disney's Magic Kingdom Park: FL (Score: 93)
- Glacier National Park: MT (Score: 93)
- Pearl Harbor Visitor Center/USS Arizona Memorial: HI (Score: 93)
2013 Winners: Top 10 Tourist Attractions
1. Mount Rushmore National Memorial: Keystone, SD (Score: 94)
An impressive percentage of Mount Rushmore's 3 million annual visitors seem to be FamilyFun survey respondents. "This exhibit is history, art, nature, and social studies all rolled into one," raved a Michigan mom in a representative comment. One of the top-five scorers in our survey, the towering marvel, framed by the magnificent Black Hills, can't help but inspire contemplation of essential American ideals.
2. Pearl Harbor Visitor Center/USS Arizona Memorial: Honolulu, HI (Score: 93)
Straddling the sunken hull of the battleship USS Arizona, which went down in the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, the memorial pays hushed tribute to the valor and sacrifice of her lost crewmen. The onshore visitors' center -- featuring waterfront displays, two exhibit galleries, and two theaters -- as well as the survivors who are often on-site sharing their stories help bring home the experience, "a moving visit for our children," summed up one guest.
3. Statue of Liberty National Monument: New York, NY (Score: 91)
Given by the people of France to commemorate the 1876 United States Centennial, Lady Liberty stands just over 305 regal feet tall from ground to torch tip. A universally revered symbol of freedom, the copper colossus has been called "a masterpiece of the human spirit" by UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific And Cultural Organization). Our survey takers agree. "Such an important part of our history," commented one mom, "and it's beautiful to see." at press time, the landmark was closed for repairs due to Hurricane Sandy. Check the website for up-to-date information.
4. Colonial Michilimackinac: Mackinaw City, MI (Score: 91)
5. Niagara Falls State Park: Niagara Falls, NY (Score: 91)
6. The White House: Washington, DC (Score: 89)
7. Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library And Museum: Springfield, IL (Score: 89)
8. George Washington's Mount Vernon: Mount Vernon, VA (Score: 89)
9. The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village: Dearborn, MI (Score: 89)
10. Fort Mackinac: Mackinac Island, MI (Score: 89)