What are the best vacation spots for families in America?
To find out, we turned to some experts: families who travel with kids. In our nationwide survey, we asked 2,000 moms with children ages 3 to 12 to rate 360 popular destinations. Reasoning that local knowledge is best, we divided the country into four geographic regions (Northeast, South, Midwest, West) and had respondents vote within their own backyards. To make the cut, each destination had to be rated by a minimum number of families. Final scores are rounded off for simplicity. First we rounded up the top 10 scorers in various categories, then we list the full results, sorted by region. (For an interactive map featuring the complete results, check out our digital edition at www.familyfunmag.com/digital.)
Our survey offers some delightful surprises. Who would have predicted that nature escapes would claim seven of the top 10 spots? Or that a museum -- Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History -- would outscore all but the top two amusement parks?
We hope our group-sourced wisdom inspires you to revisit your own special family places -- and maybe discover a few new ones. Happy trails!
Top 10 Favorite Family Destinations
Scores are based on a 100-point scale.
- Yellowstone National Park: WY, MT, ID (Score: 97)
- Acadia National Park: ME (Score: 95)
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park: NM (Score: 94)
- Grand Canyon National Park: AZ (Score: 94)
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial: SD (Score: 94)
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore: MI (Score: 94)
- Yosemite National Park: CA (Score: 94)
- Disney's Magic Kingdom Park: FL (Score: 93)
- Glacier National Park: MT (Score: 93)
- Pearl Harbor Visitor Center/USS Arizona Memorial: HI (Score: 93)