Advice for Coaches and Parents
- Allow your child to try a variety of sports and to choose ones that appeal to her.
- Avoid putting pressure on her to participate in a specific sport.
- Be realistic about your child's abilities and attention span.
- Offer unconditional approval for participating and having fun.
- Turn losses and disappointments into learning experiences.
- Attend games, show support from the sidelines, and discuss game events.
- Ensure a proper balance between sports and other life activities.
- Encourage and assist your child to set personal goals to achieve her highest potential.
- Stress the enjoyment and socialization skills that organized sports have to offer.
- Gain an understanding of the sport and your child's involvement.
- Help your child talk with you about her experiences with the coach and other team members.
- If you have a concern, take time to talk with the coach in an appropriate manner.