Ages 5 and up
Invitations, Activities & Goodies
A day spent designing delectable treats is sure to be a crowd pleaser!
A charming, recipe-like invitation hints at the fun to come. Following our format, print or write out details on white card stock, then glue to patterned paper.
Have bowls of colorful sprinkles and royal icing ready so guests can decorate premade cookies.
Plan Ahead: Personalize store-bought aprons (with iron-on fabric letters) for guests to wear during the party. When it's time to head home, pack cookies in bakery-style boxes. To help identify each owner, add an initial-shaped cookie cutter.
- Canvas kid apron, $3.49, available at Jo-Ann stores; call 888-739-4120 for locations.
- Small gift boxes from The Container Store; visit www.containerstore.com.
- Individual cookie-cutter shaped letters, $1 each; visit www.cookiecutter.com.
Colorwheel Cookie Cake
- 1 box (18.5 oz.) cake mix, any flavor
- 1 can (16 oz.) vanilla frosting
- Colored sprinkles and sugars (in 8 colors)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 package (18 oz.) refrigerated sugar-cookie dough
- 1/2 cup royal icing (see recipe below)
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions for two 8' round layers. Let cool completely. Frost cake with vanilla frosting, and place on serving plate. Score top of cake into eight wedges. Cover all but one wedge with wax paper. Cover exposed wedge with solid layer of sprinkles (in one color), then cover with wax paper. Remove wax paper from next wedge, and cover with sprinkles (in next color). Repeat for all colors. Using all eight colors, pour sprinkles around bottom edge of cake.
- Knead flour into cookie dough. Prepare according to package directions, cutting out two dozen 1 1/2" cookies. Bake and let cool. Thin royal icing with 1 tsp. water. Using fingertip, spread icing over 12 cookies. Cover each cookie with solid layer of sprinkles or sugar. Let set 30 minutes. Press cookies into side of cake. Let kids decorate remaining cookies. Serves 16.
1 box (1 lb.) confectioners' sugar
2 Tbs. powdered egg whites
6-7 Tbs. water
In bowl, with electric mixer on low, beat together all ingredients until smooth. Increase mixer speed to high, and continue beating until stiff peaks form.