Ages 5 and up.
Invitations, Activities & Goodies
A palette of pastels sets the stage for a big-girl gala she'll never forget.
Tuck party information (printed or handwritten on colored card stock) inside a fancy paper purse. Draw handbag shape onto patterned paper, then cut out. Glue outer edges of paper to cardstock, leaving an opening for the invite.
Even high-society-girls in training need one fabulous accessory. In this case, it's a floppy hat embellished with fancy flowers. Simply glue a wide ribbon around the brim of each bonnet. Have guests glue bunches of silk daisies to the ribbons. Let dry before wearing.
Sheets of vellum were used to create these tea-bag packets (waxed paper works too). Using a real tea bag as your guide, fold paper and glue sides, leaving the top open. Fill bag with ladylike loot, then staple. To finish, attach a paper tag with string.
- Gingham paper and Wild Roses paper, 50? per sheet, both from K&Company "Romanza" collection; visit www.apeekintoyesterday.com.
- Vellum, $2.50 for pack of ten, from Paper Source; visit www.paper-source.com.
What You Need:
- 1 box (18.5 oz.) yellow-cake mix
- 3 cans (16 oz. each) vanilla frosting
- Pink, yellow, and blue food coloring
- 1/4 cup pink melting wafers
- 1/4 cup yellow melting wafers
- Grease and flour twelve 6- to 8-oz. oven-proof glass bowls. Using pound-cake variation (add instant pudding and 1 extra egg), prepare mix according to package directions. Divide among prepared bowls, and bake 30 minutes. Cool in bowls 5 minutes, invert onto wire racks, and let cool completely.
- Trim tops of cakes to make level. Place six cakes upside down on wire rack over wax paper. Tint one can of frosting yellow. Heat in microwave 10 to 15 seconds, or until consistency of slightly whipped cream. Slowly pour frosting over cakes to cover completely. Scrape up excess frosting on wax paper, and reheat if necessary. Tint one can of frosting pink, and repeat with remaining six cakes.
- When icing is firm, turn cakes right side up. Spoon 2/3 cup vanilla frosting into resealable plastic bag; snip off small corner. Tint 1/3 cup frosting blue and spoon into separate resealable plastic bag; snip off small corner. Frost tops of cakes with remaining vanilla frosting, piping dots of frosting around rims. Pipe designs on sides of cakes with white and blue frostings.
- To make handles: Melt pink melting wafers in microwave 20 seconds, adding 5 seconds at a time if necessary; stir until smooth. Place in resealable plastic bag, and snip off corner. Pipe handles onto wax paper, and let harden. Push into sides of cakes for handles. Repeat with yellow melting wafers. Makes 12 cakes.
Copyright © 2003. Reprinted with permission from the May 2003 issue of Parents magazine.