This unique cake, personalized with your child's name, photo, and mementos, is designed to look like an open book. It's so realistic, guests will be tempted to turn the pages.
Prep and decorating time: 1½ hours
Bake time: 25 minutes
Yield: 12 to 14 servings
- 1 box (18.25 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1 can (16 ounces) plus 1 cup vanilla frosting
- 3 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup canned chocolate frosting
- 6 red LifeSavers fruit chews
- 5 green LifeSavers fruit chews plus one for each letter in child's name
- 1 large black gumdrop
- 2 yellow LifeSavers fruit chews
- 5" piece of strawberry Fruit by the Foot
- 3 edible candy bracelets
- 18" black string licorice laces, cut into six 3" pieces 1 Tbs. star confetti sprinkles
- 6 conversation hearts
- 3 large sweet tart hearts
- 1 lollipop, stick removed
- 1 candy ring
- Making Memories Maxicuts ZigZag scissors
- Alphabet cookie cutters
- Colored cardboard (16"x11")
- Jelly-roll pan (15"x10")
- 3"x3½" color photo of birthday child
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 15"x10" jelly-roll pan. Prepare cake mix according to package directions; pour into pan and spread evenly. Bake 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack and cool 10 minutes; invert and cool completely.
- Cut cooled cake in half crosswise. Trim each side to look like an open album by beveling bottom edge. Cover each half with vanilla frosting. Carefully transfer halves to cardboard, spacing them 1" apart. To make pages, dip tines of a fork into cocoa powder and press into sides of cake.
- To make base for photo, microwave unwrapped red fruit chews 5 seconds to soften. Roll out to form a 3 ½" square; trim edges. Place on one cake half. Use 5 green fruit chews to form a smaller square; lay green square over red one. Place child's photo on top of green square. Trim the black gumdrop into 4 small triangles; place one on each corner of the photo. Use remaining green fruit chews to cut out letters of birthday child's name with alphabet cookie cutters or freehand. Place on other cake half.
- To make badge, soften yellow fruit chews, as above, roll out, and cut into a 1 ½" circle. Trim Fruit by the Foot to look like a ribbon and place under the circle. Spoon chocolate frosting into a resealable bag and snip off a small corner. Pipe a caption under the photo, and pipe "1st Prize" on the yellow circle; pipe a border along top and bottom of cake.
- Pull apart 2 candy bracelets and pick out 12 candies of the same color. Place 6 on each cake, ¾" from edge. Insert licorice pieces into candies to look like a ring binder. Place remaining candies and sprinkles around cake.
Copyright© 2004. Reprinted with permission from the April 2002 issue of Parents magazine.