Sweet Express Train Cake
- 2 family-size (16 oz. each) frozen all-butter pound cakes, thawed
- 1 can (16 oz.) vanilla frosting
- Red, yellow, and green food coloring
- Red, yellow, and green mini M&M's
- 4 graham crackers
- 12 Starlight Mints
- 12 Oreos
- 4 mini Oreos
- Runts candies
- Dum-Dums lollipops
- 2 red Twizzlers
- For the train engine, cut one cake into a 6" piece, a 2 ¼" piece, and a 1 ½" piece. Cut the 1 ½" piece in half horizontally. For the two train cars, cut other pound cake in half crosswise. Tint ¾ cup frosting red, ¾ cup frosting yellow, and ½ cup frosting green. Cut thick pieces of cardboard to fit under engine and cars. For engine: Frost top and sides of 6" piece of cake red. Frost 2 ¼" piece of cake red on 2 sides and yellow on 3 sides. Place on large cake piece to make cab. Frost 1 ½" piece red, and place lengthwise on engine. To make cars, frost top and sides of 2 remaining cake pieces -- 1 green and 1 yellow. Place frosted cake pieces on cardboard.
- Using serrated knife, cut graham crackers in half lengthwise; trim to 4 ½". Place on cars to make bins to hold candy. Pipe crackers together with yellow frosting. Place toothpicks ¼" apart just inside bin on yellow car to support candy. Using frosting, attach mints to Oreos. Place 4 Oreo wheels on each car. Place 4 wheels on engine at back. Using frosting, attach mini M&M's to mini Oreos; place on engine. Attach 2 fruit Gems and a Dot to make the smokestack, and a Gem and a Dot to make the headlight.
- To decorate, place yellow mini M&M's around engine cab and red mini M&M's around engine top. Decorate the edges of the cars with mini M&M's as shown. Fill cars with candy; link together with Twizzlers. Remove toothpicks before serving. Serves 12.
Copyright© 2004. Reprinted with permission from the April 2002 issue of Parents magazine.