Chocolate Collage Cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- Canola oil baking spray
- 1 18.25-oz. pkg. devil's food chocolate cake mix
- 4 Tbs. cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cups light buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Blue food coloring
- 1 lb. can vanilla frosting
- Squeeze bottles filled with colored frostings, thinned to drizzle
- Wilton's Ready-to-Use Rolled Fondant, rolled and cut into shapes using cookie cutters (to prevent sticking, dust work surface with cornstarch)
- Assorted sprinkles, edible flowers, sugars, and candies
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Step 1: Spray a 9" by 13" cake pan with canola oil; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine mix, cocoa powder, buttermilk, oil, and eggs. Blend for 1 minute, scraping the sides of the bowl. Beat an additional 2 minutes; stir in chocolate chips.
Step 2: Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until firm to the touch and cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Allow to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before unmolding. Frost when thoroughly cool.
Step 3: Add several drops of blue food coloring to vanilla frosting. Mix well and spread over the entire cake, smoothing as evenly as possible. Set aside.
Step 4: Place remaining decorating supplies on the table. Allow each child to decorate a section of the cake.
Each piece: 370 calories, 4 g protein, 49 g carbohydrate, 19 g fat (4 g saturated), 2 g fiber, 41 mg cholesterol, 83 mg calcium, 2 mg iron, 363 mg sodium.