Box of Crayons Cake
This clever cake will really draw the kids to the table!
- 1 box (18.5 oz.) yellow-cake mix
- 2 cans (16 oz. each) vanilla frosting
- Blue, green, orange, red, and yellow food coloring
- 5 Yodels or Ho Hos
- 1 cup dark-chocolate-fudge frosting
- Green sour-licorice strips
- Using pound-cake variation (add instant pudding and 1 extra egg), prepare cake mix according to package directions for one 9" x 13" cake. Cool cake completely.
- Divide 1 can of frosting among six small bowls. Tint bowls blue, green, orange, red, yellow, and light green (mix a drop of yellow with green food coloring). Place light green in resealable plastic bag. Trim one end of each Yodel to form crayon tips.
- Place Yodels on wire rack. Microwave one bowl of frosting 5 to 10 seconds in microwave, or until consistency of slightly whipped cream. Pour over one Yodel, and let set; repeat with remaining colors and Yodels.
- Trim cake to make level, and invert onto serving plate. Measure 4" in from center of one short end of cake. Score one half-circle from corners to 4" mark. Following score mark and using a serrated knife, cut out 1"-thick flat piece of cake (to create opening of crayon box). Reserve 1/2 cup vanilla frosting. Tint remaining frosting orange-yellow. Frost half circle with vanilla frosting; frost remaining cake with orange-yellow frosting. Pipe green frosting onto bottom corners of "crayon box," and spread with small knife. Pipe a green outline on white frosting. Place row of "crayons" on cake, trimming to fit. Put chocolate frosting in resealable plastic bag, snip off corner, and pipe lines and circles onto crayons. Place licorice strips to outline green frosting on bottom corners. Serves 16.
Copyright © 2003. Reprinted with permission from the May 2003 issue of Parents magazine.