Backwards Birthday Cake
A simple layer cake becomes a backwards joke that will give kids the giggles. Short on time? Use a store-bought cake and put the letters on at home.
Prep and decorating time: 35 minutes
Bake time: 35 minutes
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 box (18.25 oz.) yellow cake mix
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 can (16 oz.) vanilla frosting
- 1 tube (4.25 oz.) yellow decorating icing, fitted with a star tip
- 1/3 cup colored sprinkles
- Candy letter decorations
- Heat oven to 350°F. Prepare batter and divide in two 80 round cake pans. Sprinkle batter with chocolate chips. Bake according to package directions. Transfer to wire rack and cool 10 minutes; invert and cool completely.
- Level cakes. Fill and frost cake layers with vanilla frosting. Make a decorative border around rim with yellow frosting. Press colored sprinkles onto sides of cake. Place letter decorations backwards on top of cake.
Copyright© 2004. Reprinted with permission from the May 2000 issue of Parents magazine.