Countdown to the Big Day!
4 Weeks Before
- Set the date.
- Book any entertainment. (You may have to book popular acts months in advance, so check before mentioning it to your child).
- Make or buy invitations. Fill out (including RSVP date) and mail or deliver. A month gives parents time to check schedules.
Three Weeks Before
- Read through your party plan and make a shopping list of all supplies and groceries.
- Shop for tabletop paper goods.
- Order any special supplies.
Two Weeks Before
- Start making or buying decorations. Figure out how you'll rig any that need hanging or other support.
- Stock up on whatever supplies will be needed for craft projects.
- Shop for goody bags and prizes.
One Week Before
- Enlist the help of other parents or older siblings to chaperone the party.
- Call any parent who hasn't responded.
- Check your cameras for film and flash. Do a test run with your camcorder.
The Day Before
- Purchase food. Bake or buy cake. Prepare any other food that can be safely made ahead.
- Childproof the party area.
- Run through each activity. Organize props.
- Make the remaining food.
- Set up indoor decorations, blow up balloons, and step back to observe.
- Set up outdoor activities and decorations.
- Set up the party starters (the first arrival activities) or any necessary craft stations.
- Make a pot of coffee for any adults who linger.
- Chill extra juice, soda, and milk.