How to Make a Princess-Sneaker Cake
- 2 16-oz. cans vanilla frosting
- Red food coloring
- 12-oz. frozen pound cake, thawed
- 4 plain doughnuts
- 3/4 cup coarse pink decorating sugar
- 10 purple fruit chews (Jolly Rancher)
- 3 pink fruit chews (Jolly Rancher)
- 2 round hard candies
- 1/3 cup white pearl sprinkles, such as Sixlets
- 8 candies from a candy necklace
- Spoon 1/3 cup vanilla frosting into a freezer-weight resealable bag; set aside. Tint remaining vanilla frosting pink.
- Use small knife to cut out shoe shape from cake using the template below.
- Cut one doughnut in half crosswise to make two semicircles. Cut one of the two in half again lengthwise. Assemble shoe as shown, using frosting to secure.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper; place cake on top. Spread and smooth all but 2 Tbs. of pink frosting over cake and doughnuts, leaving top doughnut unfrosted. Sprinkle pink sugar over the cake to cover, pressing to cake. Transfer to serving plate.
- To make trim at the base of shoe, soften five purple fruit chews in the microwave for no more than 3 seconds. Press them together into a log. Roll out log to a 1"x 10" strip; cut the strip in half lengthwise.
- To make the remaining trim, repeat the process with remaining purple fruit chews, rolling them into a 3"x 7" rectangle. Cut rectangle lengthwise into two 3/4"x 6" pieces (side laces) and one 1"x 7" piece (ankle).
- Soften three pink fruit chews in the same way; roll out to a 2"x 5"; round the corners of one end to make tongue.
- Smooth remaining pink frosting over top doughnut.
- To attach trim, snip a 1/8" corner from bag of vanilla frosting. Pipe a little icing on the front of shoe and place tongue on top, allowing rounded end to overhang by 1" at top. Continue to pipe icing and secure trim: Place wider purple strip at the top of the ankle; add two lacing pieces on either side of pink fruit chew; add long purple piece at base of the sneaker, cutting to fit.
- Pipe a 2"-high area of vanilla frosting at the toe; make smooth with spatula. Cover vanilla frosting with rows of pearl candies. Pipe dotted lines of vanilla frosting to look like stitching.
- Add a circle of vanilla frosting at ankle; press a hard candy on top. Surround with pearl candies.
- Add candy-necklace pieces on either side of lace area with dots of frosting. Pipe on laces with vanilla icing.
Originally published in the May 2013 issue of Parents magazine.